Good Evening Tiger Families,
Monday is an "A" day and begins an Orange Week.
On October 4th, our School Board took action and approved three additional early dismissal days for FCPS students. The three new additional early dismissal days are Wednesday, October 27th, Wednesday, November 10th and Wednesday, December 8th. In addition, we’ve also altered all early dismissal times. Moving forward, the early dismissal times for Walker-Grant Middle School will be 12:00 noon for ALL early dismissal days. Please see the calendar, as well as our updated early dismissal bell schedule, below.
- Tuesday, October 12th, is the end of our 1st 9-week marking period
- Wednesday, October 13th, will be an in-service day for staff with school closed for students.
Tiger Pride Tutoring Academy
WGMS is proud to announce the opening of our Tiger Pride Tutoring Academy designed to offer after-school assistance to your Tiger student. If you are interested in having your child receive extra help with English, Math, Science, or Social Studies during our new after-school tutoring academy, please see the form below for more details. Complete the form in the link below to enroll your student in our tutoring academy.
Back to School Night
WGMS will hold a virtual Back to School Night on Thursday, October 14th from 5-7 pm. Parents will receive a link from each of your student's teachers for your student's class period no later than 4 p.m. on Wednesday, October 13th to join the teacher on Microsoft Teams. Please follow the student's class schedule using the bell schedule below:
2021-2022 Parent-Teacher Conference Nights
Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held on the following dates:
- Wednesday, October 27
- Wednesday, January 19
- Wednesday, April 13
WGMS will hold a Virtual Parent-Teacher Conference Night on October 27th from 4:00-7:00 pm. Information will be forthcoming to sign-up for a 10-minute virtual appointment with your student's teachers.
October is VSBA Bullying Prevention Month
Here are W-GMS's activities to raise awareness and prevent bullying in our school:
- Make students aware of Bullying Help Form (Through video made by counselors to show during TSA).
- Bullying Awareness NearPod Lessons in TSA every Tuesday for the month of October.
- Bullying Awareness Bulletin Boards throughout the school.
- Daily Bullying Awareness Announcements- Including a Friday optional “Pop Quiz” to potentially win a prize.
- Bullying Poster/ Video Contest.
- Promote and Celebrate -Unity Day October 20th
- Spirit Week October 18-22
- Monday- Disney Day (Dress like your favorite Disney Character)
- Tuesday- Tie Dye Day
- Wednesday- Orange Out for Unity
- Thursday- Twin Day
- Friday- Sport Team/College Day
To learn more about anti-bullying resources and initiatives, visit https://www.vsba.org/resources/initiatives/bullying-prevention-month/
Laptop Charger Fees
Effective October 4, there will be a $15 fee to replace lost laptop chargers. Damaged chargers can be exchanged and replaced with a new charger for a $7.50 fee.
Earbuds are a required school supply item. Students are responsible for bringing earbuds to school. Earbuds will be available for sale for $1.00 should students need earbuds while at school.
Vaccination Requirement for Winter and Spring Athletics
Remember that our athletes who play on VHSL teams will need to provide proof of vaccination to participate in winter and spring sports. You can visit FCPS Athletics COVID Guidelines at our website at https://www.fxbgschools.us/resources/covid-info
See below the most relevant points related to exemptions.
- Students who are not receiving the COVID-19 vaccine due to religious reasons will be exempt from the requirement. They will need to provide the reason for their religious exemption to the school in writing. Students who are not receiving the COVID-19 vaccine due to documented health or medical reasons will be exempt from the requirement. They will need to provide documentation of a medical exemption from their physician. Students can do this through a letter from the doctor stating the student has a medical condition that prevents them from receiving the vaccine on the doctor's office letterhead.
- These students must submit negative test results on a weekly basis. Also, unvaccinated students will be required to submit a negative test before returning to play after exposure to a positive COVID-19 case.
As we continue our in-person learning, we are again asking parents and guardians to assist us in keeping our schools safe by closely monitoring your child’s health. Please keep students home who are sick or are showing signs of COVID-19 symptoms. The symptoms are:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
The Importance of Communication
Parents, guardians, and caregivers are asked to report new diagnoses of COVID-19 to the school and public health authorities to facilitate contact tracing and communication planning for cases and outbreaks. As families become aware of positive and presumptive positive cases within their household, as well as close contacts with positive cases, we encourage you to contact Mrs. Hinrichs's office by phone so we may complete the processes for contact tracing. Please leave a message with the Principal's Secretary if you are unable to connect with Mrs. Hinrichs directly.
Thank you to all families who have contacted the school regarding new diagnoses or close contacts with positive cases. Without your communication, it would have been even harder to stop the transmission of COVID-19 in our school. You are greatly appreciated!
Wishing you a Tigeriffic Week! Please remember to stay #TigerStrong.